Re: [Nel] NeL Status Update?

From: Dim Segebart
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Status Update?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:55:25 +0200

E> My game project has gotten to the point where I am ready to start putting
the world together, and doing some logic/AI scripting and such.  The problem
is, I have no idea how the data structure
E> works for NeL, and we still have no access to the 3D Studio plugin that NeL
needs for it's textures.

E> Is there any way I can get an ETA on that 3DS plugin, and detailed
documentation of how to structure the data for my world, so NeL will work with
it?

As  I  noted  earlier, IMHO the  best solution for all of us, will be open
format  of  NeL's  data files and accompanying stuff. In such a case we
will be free to write converters from our favorite 3D tools XYZ to the NeL
format. But I  can  predict  changes in format of NeL files to extend the
current  set  of features. Just like DWG file format was always closed
to  the  most  of  us and was subject of permanent changes, DXF file format was
opened to everyone, so  I'm
offer  not  too  stick  to  the  current implementation of NeL's binary file
format,  but just invent some formal data format which will be the same for NeL
as DXF
is for DWG (let's name it NFF - NelFileFormat). In such a case Nevrax team
create translator
from  NFF  to  the  internal representation and the people outside the
Nevrax  create translator from format XYZ to the NFF. With addition of
new  features  and  other  format  changes  Nevrax make changes to the
NFF2INTERNAL  and  we  make changes to the XYZ2NFF As a consequence of
such  a  decision Nevrax will be free to change internal stuff without
breaking  users  world's data and users always can store their data in
some  intermediate  format.  Just imagine the situation. Nevrax add new
really  cool features to the game and release new internal file format
with  new  release  of engine. What happen with users worlds which are
incompatible with new version ? I think you may guess ;)
But  if  along  with  a  new  version  Nevrax will release a new version of
converter  NFF2INTERNAL  the  problem  will be solved. This converter takes
care  about  all internal changes and user's data will be on-line again
within short period of time.

What's about standard XML as a basement?  :)

--
Dim Segebart

PS.  May  be  I'm  completely  wrong  and  Nevrax  team  has a better
solution?