Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?

From: Thierry Mallard
Subject: Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:56:54 +0100

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 03:43:59PM -0600, Jared Mark wrote:
> Okay, so what you're saying is basically this...
>
> By seperating the services, you can have a cluster of machines, each running
> different services, and thus, keeping the load down across the board.  You
> would have a single system, for example, handling just combat resolution,
> and you would have another system that would keep track of the database...

We may have to add features concerning high-availability, as this scheme
doesn't allow it : if the computing holding the combat resolution fails, the
world will be a heaven of peace  ;-)

The second point is that if a service grow too much, the load-balancing won't
respond to the problem. You mentionned this point in your previous mail I
think.

One possible architecture is to write separate process, and give two or three
computer the responsiblity to distribute, by monitoring the farm, those
process. I dunno if such scheme is possible w.r.t. the current NeL objectives
(?)

Best regards,

        Shaman

--