Re: [Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.

From: EagleEye
Subject: Re: [Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:26:46 -0600

Well, as someone else put it in a private chat... I'm wondering "exactly
where does their code stop, and my code begin?"

Do I get to keep the coding behind the interaction rules of my game to
myself?  My skill system, and the way characters develop within the game...
the way my player housing system, and player governments system is
handled... is that mine to keep?  I guess a lot of it depends on how I go
about forming those rules... and that depends on how NeL allows me to build
my world.

I can understand sharing a new add-on, such as the ability to use DirectX 8
with NeL... I can understand adding functionality to the core engine... that
I wouldn't mind giving up to the general masses.  Heck, I don't care if I
give up the artwork!  What's important to me is keeping my gameplay designs
proprietary.  I don't want someone copying my game's LOGIC... because to me,
that's what will make my game innovative, and will be the main reason people
will play it.  If I give that up freely, I might as well go for a different
core package.