[Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.

From: Jared Mark
Subject: [Nel] Something I don't understand about the license agreement.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:41:44 -0600

I just want to make sure I understand this right...

I use this source code to build the base of my game...
I do all sorts of work to make my own game built around this core engine...
I then try to get people to play the game...
People get the game (for free, or at least, for the cost of shipping it, but no profit can be made on that...)
I charge for the monthly service to the game, and make boat loads of money...

But then, because of the way this license reads, someone else can request the entire source code to my game, set up their own game that's exactly like mine, and charge people to use it just like I am doing...

So if all of the above is correct... what is the point of me making my game using NeL in the first place?  When someone can just steal my entire game (not just the NeL source, but all of the "derivitive works" that are packaged with it as a whole), and run the game service themselves... basically, taking me out of the loop entirely.

If I'm completely off here, I appologise.  I'm extremely new to the whole "open source" thing...

My main concern is that I have a bunch of gameplay concepts that I want to implement... having nothing to do with graphical quality, or any sort of innovative programming... I have plot, and I have what I consider a "bigger and better plan" than anything UO or EQ or AC have ever done... and this license is basically saying that I have to give all of THAT stuff up if I choose to use NeL as my core code?

*scratches head*