Re: [Nel] Compiling under Linux

From: Valignat Cedric
Subject: Re: [Nel] Compiling under Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:52:51 +0100

Tels wrote:

> Freetype.org is down, I could not reach it for several days/weeks.
>
> http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/freetype/ seems to be the new
> url.

Try the american mirror web site at http://freetype.sourceforge.net/, you
will have access to the all the project home page.

I updated the INSTALL and configure.in file to change tha FreeType
homepage.

> StlPort: Do I need to make it, or is simple unzipping enough? If yes,
> please document this, the make takes for ever ;o) Also, for stlport,
> there is no "make install" for unix. Does this matter?

NeL is using the SGI iostreams, so i'm afraid that you will have to compile
it.

> I also run low on diskspace due to stlport ... is there anyway to cut
> down the size after making it?

you could do a 'make -f gcc.mak clean' to delete all the ojects files,
it doesn't delete the library files ...

> #checking for freetype-config... no
> #configure: error: Cannot find freetype-config: check your path.
> #    FreeType 2 library is needed to compile NeL (www.freetype.org).
>
> Ugh, this file does not get installed, and only resides in the build dir
> of freetype (which I was to delete).

That's weird, it works fine for me :o)

The installation line is in the builds/unix/install.mk file (line 51),
Are you sure that the installation directory (ex: /usr/local/bin) is
in your path ?

> So I copied it in the nel pat, but root does not have "." in it's path.
> Now I try configure as user and get this:

The script is looking for freetype-config script in your path, it will change
nothing to put in the NeL directoty, if it isn't in your path ;-)

> The build process needs to be MUCH easier, if this game will ever come of
> for Linux. Nobodies going to fiddle for 3 hours with it....or did I get it
> wrong and level one is named "./configure" ? ;-P

Thanks for your suggestion :-)

We actually working on improving the documentation and build process, so it
"migth" be easier in a near future ;-)

Cedric.