[Nel] re: Boost library

From: Bernard Hugueney
Subject: [Nel] re: Boost library
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:54:08 +0100

Olivier Lejade <address@hidden> wrote:

> From the information gathered on
>http://64.226.201.52/more/lib_guide.htm##License
>there seems to be licensing incompatibilities between Boost librairies and
>the GPL.

I think there is a misunderstanding. They exclude GPL and LGPL for
library SUBMITTED. They want more of a BSD kind I think. You could not
submit Nel for Boost acceptance,
<Quote>
   To avoid the frustration and wasted time of a proposed library being
   rejected, it must meets these requirements:
     * The license must meet the license requirements below. Restricted
       licenses like the GPL and LGPL are not acceptable.
 </Quote>
Note : "proposed library"
No such restriction is imposed on code using a boost library: reading from
their licenses requirement
<Quote>
     * Must grant permission to copy, use and modify the software for any
       use (commercial and non-commercial) for no fee.
</Quote>

You cannot say that you are not allowed to use a library with such a
licence (Note: ANY USE ) !!!

I don't want to force you to use anything from boost, I just would want you
to dismiss it for bad reasons. As a C++ coder, I found it invaluable
(just for fun you migh look at the lambda library at http://lambda.cs.utu.fi/
I never thought it would be possible). Of course their aim to "perfection"
leads them to move slowly at time (network threads are not there yet...), and
their advanced use of C++ clashes with crappy compiler (VC++). But if you
can use it, their stuff really shines. I have not tested their py_cpp
c++ to python wrapper, but I though you might be interested.

Happy coding !
Bernard
(kinda jealous not to code for my living)