[Nel] Release Schedule and some questions ?

From: Tom wright
Subject: [Nel] Release Schedule and some questions ?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:14:11 -0000

Hi all,

I am quite interested in what your trying to do, having played about with the ideas for one of these for more years than I care to think about :-)

I have some general questions I would like to ask who ever is in the know, feel free to ignore the 'sensitive' ones :-)

1)  Are you going to add to the FAQ how to build  the stuff ? I am currently running on Win2k with VC6 ( though I have a linux box also to try this out on ) and it appears you have some paths coded to your environment and not within the project file, e.g. whatever\nel\include is missing.
It would be useful in the FAQ if it contained a list of any dependencies that the system also requires like the STL code. Yeah I know its in there :-)  But it will save you answering the same question lots of time for those that don't look at the src

2) Care to release at least a rough schedule on the website, so that people can see when bits and pieces of the jigsaw are going to be released ?

3) Congrats on releasing the src early, that means we can start reading and learning now before we have 1000's of files to wade through.

4) very interested to see talking about using python, having started playing with it a few months ago, it has alot going for it.  Are you going to embed it and interface it to the API's available so that people can use it for developement within the system, or is it more an external glue language ? Could be very useful for rapid prototyping AI and NPC routines

5) In your event dispatch system, how do you intent to get around the problem of 'event blizzards' on a busy system ? Having seen this problem in other systems that rely on events for inter-object comms, I am interested on how you are going to get around the problem, e.g. multi-threaded round robin dispatch, multiple dispatchers etc.

Congrats on embrassing the open source idea for your server, and I look forward to messing around with the system and the source.

Regards

Tom