nano-devel

Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:50:51 +0200

Op 28-10-2021 om 10:11 schreef Benno Schulenberg:
> In the archives of the mailing list I cannot find any reasoning for disabling
> the ^Z keystroke by default and requiring an option (-z) or a toggle (M-Z) to
> enable it.
The likely reason for the -z option occurred to me last night: in the beginning
the goal for nano was to be a drop-in replacement for pico.  And pico does not
know a Suspend command: typing ^Z in pico responds with "Unknown Command: ^Z".

So, in its default setup, nano had to do nothing when ^Z was typed, just like
pico.  It needed option --suspend to make ^Z perform its standard function,
just like it required --preserve to make ^S and ^Q perform their normal Stop
and Resume Output functions.  When not enabled, those latter two keystrokes
gave puzzling feedback: "mumble, mumble".  But ^Z was entirely silent -- it
has given feedback only since version 2.5.0: "Suspension is not enabled".

^S and ^Q do something useful by default since version 2.9.0.  It would have
been good to have given ^Z its normal function by default at the same time.
But the next best time is now.

Benno