nano-devel

Re: [RFC] improve nano's interface toward external tools

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [RFC] improve nano's interface toward external tools
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 11:02:09 +0100

Op 06-01-2021 om 10:52 schreef Saagar Jha:
> [...] if we consider the “factor it out into an extension” if we added an
> extension point for running a command on the buffer and displaying a message
> in the status bar from the output of that script [...]

The linter does more than just putting a message on the status bar.  It also:

  1) offers to open the file if the message is for an unopened file,
  2) puts the cursor at the place that the message refers to, and
  3) has two keystrokes available for jumping between messages.

An extension point for letting an external script put the cursor at a given
spot and showing a given message on the status bar seems feasible to me.
Do you think that this is enough to be able to ditch the current linter and
replace it with an external script?

> [...] another one could be a script that looks for a local “.nanorc” file in
> the repository I am currently working in and changing nano’s settings to match
> that (as you may have already seen many projects with “.editorconfig” files
> already [...]
This is the first time I have heard of .editorconfig.

Benno