nano-devel

making nano's binary smaller

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: making nano's binary smaller
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:27:43 +0200

Hello Jordi,

While testing nano in a recent Debian installer image, I noticed
that the size of the binary was 131K.  That seemed rather large,
and I checked: in Buster, the udeb nano is just 83K.  I suspected
that this is caused by the gnulib regex modules getting included,
and indeed, if on my system I add --without-included-regex to the
./configure options, the stripped binary goes down from 151K to 83K.

By the way, in the rules file for Debian's nanos you have this:

CONFFLAGS_tiny = \
    --enable-tiny \
    --disable-speller \
    --disable-justify \
    --disable-tabcomp \
    --disable-nls \
    --disable-wrapping

CONFFLAGS_udeb = \
    --enable-tiny \
    --disable-speller \
    --disable-justify \
    --disable-tabcomp \
    --disable-nls \
    --disable-wrapping \
    --with-slang

Most of the --disable flags are unneeded because they are what
--enable-tiny does.  It would be enough to do just this:

CONFFLAGS_tiny = \
    --enable-tiny \
    --without-included-regex \
    --disable-nls