nano-devel

possible new bindable function: 'openfile', to open new buffer

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: possible new bindable function: 'openfile', to open new buffer
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:01:43 +0200

Op 22-05-2020 om 04:02 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> On 5/21/20, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg@telfort.nl> wrote:
>> But for you, as a frequent user of ^R, this change would be fine?
>
> Yes this is fine for me. But I actually would like better a new
> bindable function. Would not oppose the change in behaviour though.

Why do you prefer a new bindable function?

If a new bindable function were added (openfile), the M-F toggle still
needs to become volatile, because otherwise what 'insert' and 'openfile'
would do would still be unpredictable.

Also, with a new bindable function, the 'set multibuffer' option would
become superfluous: the user could instead put 'bind ^R openfile main'
in their nanorc.  Only the -F/--multibuffer command-line option would
still make some sense...  But... do you ever use that option on the
command line?  Don't you prefer nano to be always in the same state
at startup (with respect to ^R)?

I am thinking about removing -F/--multibuffer and 'set multibuffer'
entirely.  It would mean we get rid of a poorly named option, and
would free up an option letter.

Benno