nano-devel

Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?

From: Zach DeCook
Subject: Re: what to call the option for the "scroll bar"?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:44:36 -0400

On May 22, 2020 2:21:17 PM EDT, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

>Op 22-05-2020 om 04:05 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>> Most gui apps simply leave the cursor where it is. Then, when a key
>is
>> pressed, the window is moved where the cursor is. I do not like this
>> behaviour and implementing this would need some more intrusive
>> changes.
>
>This seems like the preferable behavior, because it allows doing
>something that otherwise cannot be achieved in nano: looking at
>other parts of the file without losing the cursor position.

I agree (that behavior sounds preferable),
though I had thought that could be
accomplised with M-- and M-+.
I guess I was wrong about their behavior.

>> So, what behaviour is the most likely to be accepted?
>
>I don't know.  I would have to each behavior to see whether I like
>it.  And possibly I will like none.

I wanted to say this sounds cruel, but I might have to agree here. I rarely
click and drag scrollbars. A Meta-PageUp/Down option (which leaves the cursor
in its location while scrolling the file) would be a more usable interface
should this functionality be implemented.

And given the description of M-- and M-+,
> Scroll up one line without moving the cursor textuall
I would think they should gain that ability were it to be implemented.

(But maybe it would ease implementation to have dragging the scrollbar behave
the same as M-- and M-+, so if/when those are changed, this too would change)

-ZJD