nano-devel

Re: [patch] feature: 'backupdir' shell expansion

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [patch] feature: 'backupdir' shell expansion
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:12:01 +0100

[Please answer only to the list.  I'm CC'ing you because I'm not sure
whether you are subscribed.]

Op 20-02-2020 om 00:01 schreef Mert Akengin:
> Attached patch allows user to set 'backupdir' option
> with environment variables

Why?  What problem does it solve?  Does it make nano easier to configure?
(I would say the opposite: it makes it more complicated: the user might
be unaware that an environment variable is overriding what they have
specified in their .nanorc file.  And what's worse: your implementation
would even override a --backupdir command-line option.)

> I am thinking of submitting follow-up patch to either (or all):
>
> a) create directory/directories with `mkdir(3)`

No.  Otherwise any typo would just create a new directory.  When
specifying a directory, the user must be precise.

> b) just show error message at the bottom instead of failing.

No.  When something invalid is specified on the command line, nano
refuses to start, because most likely the user wants to correct
their command.

> ps(2). Also added _XOPEN_SOURCE macro checking for wordexp stuff.

In nano, all other checking of environment variables uses 'getenv'.
Does 'wordexp' have advantages?

> If you guys see anything odd/wrong. Please do not hesistate to
> reply/feedback. Since I am not very familiar with the process :)

Normally environment variables have names in all uppercase.

> RUN apt install -y \
>       git clang build-essential \
>       automake autoconf autopoint \
>       gettext pkg-config texinfo groff \
>       libncursesw5-dev libslang2-dev

There is no need for libslang when you have libncurses.  Avoid
libslang whenever possible.

Benno