nano-devel

Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files

From: Saagar Jha
Subject: Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 22:20:50 -0800

Hi,

I use nano quite a bit across a number of machines and I’ve run into an interesting issue that I am not sure if there is a good solution for: I have one nanorc that I would like to share across these computers, but it cannot be read without errors on any of them because there is constant churn in the format for the file. To give you an idea of the situation, I regularly use versions of nano that literally span over a decade: on my Mac it’s nano 4.7, but on my Ubuntu machine it’s 2.9.3, on my iPhone it’s 4.3 and on the family Mac it’s 2.0.6. Ideally, it would be possible to use one configuration for all of them and progressively degrade from there when necessary, but this isn’t really possible because old versions of nano will throw up errors for options they don’t recognize, and newer versions will do the same for options that have been removed or renamed. I have currently been working around this by what can only be described as an overengineered atrocity that emulates setting versioning, but I would be interested in hearing if there’s a better way to do this.

Regards,
Saagar Jha