nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: changing the bindings of <Alt+Up> and <Alt+Down> t

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: changing the bindings of <Alt+Up> and <Alt+Down> to scrolling per line
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:29:24 +0100

Op 09-01-19 om 21:25 schreef David Ramsey:
> commit 382c9d7, which added
> softmark, binds Shift+Alt+[arrow key] as follows:
>
> Shift+Alt+Left: Shift+Home
> Shift+Alt+Right: Shift+End
> Shift+Alt+Up: Shift+PageUp
> Shift+Alt+Down: Shift+PageDown
>
> because "some combinations with Shift are swallowed by some terminal
> emulators."  Is this still a problem

I would think so: those terminals use the latter keystrokes to move
around in terminal's scrollback buffer.

> And, if not, couldn't they
> be bound to their proper Shift+Alt values now,

> (If used for searching, the Shift+Alt+[vertical arrow keys] would then
> work under softmark just as they do under hardmark: turn the mark on via
> either pressing Ctrl+^ or holding Shift, then search via Alt+[vertical
> arrow key], and the mark would cover all the text you moved over,

Cool.  But not enough to convince me to keep Alt+Up/Down for searching.

> The Shift+Alt+[horizontal arrow keys] would turn the
> softmark off when switching between buffers,

That doesn't make sense to me -- holding Shift should mean: keep softmark.

> just as Shift+Alt+< and >
> do now.)

That is a bug: there is no reason why switching between buffers should
cancel the softmark: the cursor does not move within the buffer.

Benno