nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 17:01:15 +0100

Op 24-12-18 om 15:47 schreef David Niklas:
> How about filing a bug report upstream?

I think most have been filed and fixed now.  But as I noted elsewhere,
an up-to-date OpendBSD machine, for example, contains an ncurses (and
thus probably a terminfo) that is ten years old.  Mistakes that have
been fixed since then will not be present on that remote machine.

> I must confess it's not clear to
> me who is responsible for selecting the correct terminfo when connecting
> to a remote machine.

The TERM variable.  When all is well, it gets set by the terminal that
you use, and gets copied by ssh into a remote session.

> How about: --no-translate, or --no-terminfo, or --broken-terminfo?

That last one is not bad.  But I will pick --rawsequences.

> As for the defaults, which is what this discussion is about, how about
> changing some of the strange key bindings?

The default keybindings won't change.  People who are used to using
nano would not forgive us that. The settings that we are considering
to make the default are probably those that people who use nano daily
already use: --nowrap, --smooth, --nonewlines, --historylog.

(I've used nano with --ignorercfiles for a bit.  When then the cursor
is somewhere in the middle of the window, and you press <PageDown>,
it pages down, but the cursor is placed in the top left corner.  Weird!
Of course, this is what Pico does (and jed too), but I can't believe
that I've accepted this behavior in the beginning.  Because: when then
you press <PageUp>, the cursor isn't back where it was.  Peeking ahead
(or back) in a file becomes a tiresome exercise of finding back and
getting back to the place where you were.)

> ^S was added to ^O for save...

^S was free, unused (in most cases), so it was easy to assign something
useful to it.  But changing ^X, ^W, ^R... it's far too late for that.

Benno