nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 01:44:29 -0600

Brand Huntsman:
> Binding ^H has nothing to do with "do it right, or don't do it at all.".

You're misunderstanding me.  I was referring to binding ^H *separately
from Backspace*, not binding ^H in general.  The former may be
problematic (under the limitations of curses); the latter is not.
Binding ^I separately from Tab may be problematic in a similar fashion,
because ncurses has no KEY_TAB.  As for ^M versus KEY_ENTER, I'd have to
check.

The other examples you cite don't apply.  You brought up color?  A
better analogy for this would be If we had a certain color value that
was interpreted as dark blue on some systems, and bright yellow on some
other systems, with *no way* to tell which it would be on a given
system.  In this case, I'd recommend not using it in order to avoid the
hassle and bug reports for something we couldn't work around.  I
wouldn't recommend leaving color out entirely, just the one weird case.