nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano bug #54928: a syntax file should be fully read onl

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano bug #54928: a syntax file should be fully read only when the syntax gets actually used
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 01:25:39 -0700

> Errors are going to be the biggest issue. If a syntax is loaded after
> ncurses  has been initialized, any parsing errors will be written on
> top of the edit window. The syntax loading code would need to
> endwin(), parse syntax file and then reinitialize ncurses, which
> might cause terminal flicker.

rcfile_error() could write all errors to a list instead of stderr. finish() and
die() would then write all list entries to stderr after endwin().

On linux console, I believe nano aborts if there are any errors because the
console isn't preserved when ncurses exits. This rcfile error list would allow
linux console to run normally with errors.