nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] dropping an anchor at a place where wants to return

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] dropping an anchor at a place where wants to return
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:55:38 +0100

Op 07-11-18 om 20:28 schreef David Ramsey:
> And even in nano, there are times I
> want to jump to a place *around* a global rather than directly on it;
> jumping to the global and then manually scrolling up or down can be
> problematic if I accidentally scroll one line too many.

You and Marco are capable enough to make a bookmark feature, but in
the past years neither of you has made anything like it.  So I doubt
that you really have any need for bookmarks.

I proposed the (single) anchoring mechanism because I observed what
I actually do now and then.

But as we can't agree on the mechanism, I'll let it be.  I'll carry
a local patch and see if I will actually start to use the anchor.
Updated patch is coming up.

>> And I want to make it easier to remember what combo to press for which
>> function -- when there are two for the anchoring: which was which
>> again?  If you press drop instead of jump, you've lost the point where
>> you wanted to return.
>
> In Marco's version, there aren't two for the anchoring.  [...]

I was talking about anchoring there, not about bookmarks.  So I was
talking about my proposed mechanism.  If you call an anchor a bookmark
too, or bookmarking anchoring, it gets confusing.

Benno