nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 00:38:20 -0600

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:44:08 +0800
Liu Hao <address@hidden> wrote:

> > And when we would make this, what would be the next request?
>
> If nano could preserve the cut buffer after it exits (and reload
> it the next time it starts, like the search and replace patterns), it
> would be good.

Multiple nanos would clobber this file, like they do with search history.

Is it possible to pipe decrypted text into nano and back out to be encrypted
when saved? Would nano know if this is happening so it would disable writing
the cutbuffer? Otherwise, writing out the cutbuffer would cause secrets to be
stored in a non-encrypted file. But I guess search history can reveal secrets
too, if you search for them.

You might also accidentally put secrets in a non-encrypted file, realize this,
cut the secrets, save and exit. Not realizing you have just saved them to disk
in the non-encrypted cutbuffer file.

And today I cut half of a 500meg trace file. If this feature had been enabled,
nano would probably have paused for a long time while writing out the cutbuffer
when I exited. It would need a statusbar message while doing this. I realize
this an uncommon use case, but it happened on the same day you mentioned this
feature. :)

Might be better to just use multiple buffers, the cutbuffer is shared between
them.