nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: change the behavior of the two scrolling commands

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: change the behavior of the two scrolling commands (M-- and M-=)?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:15:45 -0600

Benno Schulenberg:
>> What would have been better is when Scroll-Up/Down would have kept
>> the cursor not in the same screen position but in the same *text*
>> position, because that is what I normally want.  (And that is what
>> Emacs does.  Not that Emacs is sacrosanct, but generally it has well
>> thought-out behavior.)
> What's more, Vim behaves the same way (^E/^Y): you can scroll a file
> that fully fits on screen (and you cannot scroll up beyond the first
> line). *And* it will keep the cursor in the same text position when
> possible.
>
> So, I propose that nano be changed to do the same thing: keep the
> cursor at the same place in the text instead of at the same place on
> the screen. See the upcoming patch.  (Documentation changes not yet
> included.)
>
> Any objections, comments, hoorays?

I've tried the v2 patch, and... I like it better than I thought I would.

Also, despite the different behavior, I can still accomplish what I
could under the old scrolling mechanism (shifting certain lines of text
into certain specific rows of the screen).  And if the new behavior
follows Emacs' and Vim's behavior, there's precedent for it, as well.

So, I'm fine with this.