nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:22:29 +0100

Op 24-02-18 om 16:05 schreef Mike Scalora:
> I think FILE operations (save, read) are not like text/content
> operations (replace, spell check, cut) so I don’t think this commonality makes
> sense (is expected).

I agree that content operations are somewhat different from saving a file.
Feeding the buffer (or the selection) through an external program (speller,
some command) or an internal program (replace) is not like storing the file
(or the selection) for later use.

> For the majority of users, I think it would be surprising
> behavior, in this case, a bad surprise. I support the toggle being added, I
> would
> even prefer it to NOT be sticky.

In Brand's patch, the "Selection" toggle is non-sticky -- just like the
"Prepend" and "Append" toggles.

What I worry about are the handful of users for whom saving a selection
has become a habit.  They will be annoyed that they now have to hit a
toggle before typing the file name.  And if they are in the habit of
typing ^O^T, they will be surprised by the question "Save file under
DIFFERENT NAME?" when they pick a file.

Benno