nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:41:26 -0600

Brand Huntsman:
> What happens if you answer N? Would it save the buffer or are you then
> forced to unselect, save again and then reselect.

Pressing N would save the entire buffer, in this hypothetical case.

> But even if N did save the buffer, it adds an extra step to perform
> the most important feature in nano. You have to type a filename to
> save selection, an additional toggle is nothing.

Pressing a toggle to make sure the entire buffer is saved instead of a
selection is also an extra step; I don't see how the two are that
different.

> Visual indicators are useless unless you _want_ to see the status of
> something. When you tell it to save, it should either save, or beep
> and give an error as to why it couldn't save.

Well, if the user is going by muscle memory and trying to save an entire
buffer when the buffer is on, and they're not paying enough attention to
notice that they're trying to save a selection instead, there isn't much
else to do.  We either have to (a) give some indicator and hope they
notice it, (b) somehow get them to at least read enough of the filename
prompt to notice "Write Selection" *before* going to muscle memory, or
(c) find a different solution.

And in terms of (c), there's quicksave: assuming default keybindings,
pressing Ctrl-S always saves the entire buffer, regardless of whether
the mark is on.