nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:35:57 -0700

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 11:17:19 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

I put together a quick patch that works but has a couple issues.

1) On an 80 column terminal it truncates the "Write Selection" in help bar to
"Write Select", so that will need a shorter name. Any ideas?

2) Pressing M-S when saving clears the filename and pressing it again
restores filename. Except that it positions the cursor at the beginning
of the filename, instead of the end. Is there a way to move the cursor
to end of answer, like happens when the prompt is first opened?

> > I also propose changing the prompt to reflect what is being saved.
>
> It already reflects that, but in a not very eye-catching way.
> But when you have to toggle to write a selection, the need to have
> contrasting prompts is diminished.

Anyone who uses the feature might assume it still writes the selection to file,
even if it no longer says "selection". It would have the buffer's filename
they'd have to clear, so they might figure out it wasn't writing the selection.
Having "buffer" in there when a selection is active might help them figure that
out while clearing filename. Or maybe just change the 3 non-selection prompts
to always have "buffer" in them and not check for an active selection.