nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] File tabs

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] File tabs
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 19:27:21 +0100

Op 28-11-17 om 08:30 schreef address@hidden:
I found tabs, like in internet and filesystem browsers and IDEs, to make the title bar more useful and helpful when navigating between more than a couple
of buffers in nano. Basically, instead of drawing the title bar the way we do
now, we would display the list of open file filenames. Here's an example:

hello.c  hello.h [main.c] Makefile*  TODO.txt  READM...

Interesting...  Thanks for the patch.

I most often use nano in fullscreen mode to work in local directory with relatively shortly-named files, so in that kind of scenario I have always had
 enough space to display all the filenames, because it can display more than
10 at a time.

When I edit multiple files, I normally do something like 'nano src/*.c',
which means that a third of the title bar gets filled with src/ src/ src/.
So at the very least, the patch should display only the basename of the
given files, not their full paths.

I'm not sure what should nano do when the current buffer could not be
displayed.

I think it should "scroll" the entire title bar to the left so that the
name of the current buffer can be fully displayed at the right.

Instead of the brackets, I would prefer a color highlight.  This should
probably be configurable: if a "tabcolor" is set, use that color, if not,
use brackets.

(Note: my comments do not mean that I consider the patch for inclusion.
But the above fixes are the bare minimum to even start considering the
possibility.)

[Please answer only to the list, not to me.]

Benno