nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Quick switch between open buffers

From: doark
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Quick switch between open buffers
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 22:52:49 -0500

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:01:05 +0100,
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 02-11-17 om 07:38 schreef Marco Diego Aur?lio Mesquita:
> > When using nano to edit more than just a few files, switching
> > linearly between them soon becomes boring.
> >
> > The attached patch implements a fast way to switch between open
> > buffers. Hit ^R ^O to use it. It opens the browser showing only
> > current open buffers. This way you can easily and quickly choose
> > which of the current open buffers you want to switch to.
>
> Interesting.  But... I don't want to make nano into an aspiring IDE.

I already use nano as my primary IDE :) along with adie (which has a few
things nano does not, multi-buffer support excluded).
Granted nano is *not* an IDE and will probably never be, but for now I
use it with screen for lots of files because screen has a fast switch
function.

> The choice of ^R ^O is odd, since the user does not want to *read* or
> insert anything, but instead wants to jump.  So it would be better to
> bind the function directly to a key.  But as we're running out of keys,
> maybe simply provide a bindable function and let the needy user do the
> binding.

I'd be happy to add a binding on my machine or to accept whatever
binding you would choose.

Thanks,
David

                           Instructions for feeding:

Microsoft       Live Alligators.
Politicians     Truth Serum.
Trolls          Starve!
Volunteers      Docs, Compliments, Suggestions, and FLOSS.