nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 02:31:26 -0300

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Brand Huntsman <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:27:35 -0300
> Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > How do you propose to show that Overwrite mode is on?
>>
>> Change the cursor to a solid block.
>
> Is that even possible in console? My default cursor is a solid block and most
> terminal emulators have an option to configure it.

Some terminal emulators allow something along these lines. I'll soon
post an updated version.

> Maybe nano could get an indicator bar on the left side of titlebar, with the
> multibuffer indicator. Put an "O" or "Overwrite" when in overwrite mode. Does
> macro recording show anything while recording? If not, it could use the
> indicator bar too.

Considering how much new empty space is there on the new titlebar, I
think it is a good time to discuss if more useful information should
be shown there.

I think that a modified buffer should be indicated simply by applying
bold or appending a '*' to its name. The upper right corner is more
useful to indicate "Overtype, Macro" depending on which of these modes
are active.