nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] have release changes in changelog.gz and NEWS.gz for in

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] have release changes in changelog.gz and NEWS.gz for incompatible changes or NEW far-reaching features/implicatons.
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 22:16:55 +0530

in-line :-

On 04/01/2017, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017, at 23:54, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> On 02/01/2017, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Of the last four versions of nano, what would you have liked to
>> > see in the NEWS file?
>
> You did not answer the question.  Hrrm!

I could not as I'm not a developer so what are important changes could
best be gauged only by the developers.

> But no!  Not _everything_ is in NEWS!  NEWS just mentions the
> most important points.

ok.

>> then I would
>> suggest simply migrate everything from changelog.gz to NEWS.gz
>
> Are you mad?!

I am/was under the impression that changelog.gz is stopped and there's
nothing going to be added there anymore.

>> as
>> there is no purpose served by having a changelog which doesn't serve
>> any changes anymore.
>
> Well, how about the attached file?  Does that suit your needs?
> (NEWS will continue as it is: a very condensed summary.)
>
>> [More irrelevant stuff.  Snipped too.]
>>
>> I hope have made it more clear.
>
> It was already clear to me what you wanted the first time.
> The answer is no.
>
> Benno
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...

While I haven't tried the patch itself, from what you have shared as
the title, it is exactly what is needed. The changelog.gz could have
commit info with short commit id and that would be very useful.

Taking an example -

this is one of the repos I follow (it's a game)

https://github.com/jwvhewitt/dmeternal.git

address@hidden - [~/games/dmeternal] - [10025]
└─[$] git log | less

commit 33f4855b9622ea283b76b9a3d05dcf5ac1db7ab1