nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: entering characters by code -- what with 0x0A?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: entering characters by code -- what with 0x0A?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:05:35 +0100

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016, at 14:52, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> What I instead propose is that M-V 0 0 0 0 0 A will beep when
> the user tries that in an edit buffer or at a search prompt,
> and will enter a literal ^J when at a filename prompt.  And
> the sequence M-V 0 0 0 0 0 0 will beep at a filename prompt
> (because a filename cannot contain byte 0x00) and will enter
> a literal ^@ when in an edit buffer or at a search prompt.

Oh, I forgot: for comparison, typing at a prompt the sequence
M-V 0 0 0 0 0 9 will enter an actual Tab into the string, but
typing the Tab key will try to do filename completion or search
term completion, depending on at what prompt you are.  So...
having an M-V sequence always enter a character (when possible)
and never execute a function makes things more consistent.

(We can't do this for the Esc Esc ddd sequences, because that
is the way Pico behaves, so we'll have to keep that.)

And the bug report that led to all this is:
    https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49897

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Does exactly what it says on the tin