nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [nano] improving accessibility
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:24:15 +0200

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016, at 14:26, Enrico Mioso wrote:
> Hello. I am very very grateful to you: your patch works great,
> and does exactly what I would like.

Okay.  A complete fix has been pushed to git, b92d35d.

> I used the following build procedure (after "./autogen.sh"):
> ./configure --prefix=/usr \
>   --sysconfdir=/etc \
>   --enable-color \
>   --enable-nanorc \
>   --enable-multibuffer \
>   --disable-wrapping-as-root

You don't need the --enable things, because everything is enabled
by default (apart from debug).

Personally I don't use --prefix, so that nano gets installed
into /usr/local/bin, so that I have both the system-installed
nano and the self-compiled one.  Normally the latter is used,
because /usr/local/bin comes first in the PATH, but if I want
I can run /usr/bin/nano and be sure that none of my recent
patches interfere.

If you don't use syntaxes, I would use --disable-color, and
for sure I would use --disable-libmagic.  And if you don't
use the mouse (nor the touchpad) with nano, --disable-mouse.

Do you use nano localized to Italian?  And do you use a UTF-8
locale?  Or just plain POSIX?

> The problem is - it seems 32-bit is starting to become less popular
> thesedays :) ...

Yeah.  On my old box (with an Athlon something), running an
up-to-date Manjaro, Chromium often crashes at startup: illegal
instruction.  These 32-bit systems don't get enough testing any
more.  :|

When you're on Archlinux, do you also use the most recent kernel
-- 4.7?  I ask because on my old box that kernel slowed things
down by a factor of five.  And 4.4 doesn't even want to boot:
kernel panic.  I had to go back to 4.1.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own