nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 10:44:41 +0200

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016, at 07:53, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> Irrespectively, I still feel "strange" doesn't counterbalance ability
> to rebind.

Don't hang on the exact words.  You can read "illogical" or
"inconsistent" instead of "strange" if you like.

> If so strange, users won't use it but telling
> them it is not rebindable or not allowed to rebind is something else.

If users are not going to use it, it is a waste of effort
to make it possible.  And don't read "not allowed" as
"not permitted" but as "not possible", "not implemented",
and "not going to be implemented".

But that is all beside the point.  Currently, when the user
puts "bind ^Right help main" in their .nanorc, nano accepts
it without any protest.  But the line does not have any effect
on the Ctrl+Right keystroke.  Instead, when the user now tries
to read in a file with ^R, the help screen is shown.  There is
no way any more to read in another file.  /That/ is what needs
to be prevented.  /That/ is why nano should say "Key name
^Right is invalid" and reject it.  It is a real bug.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A fast, anti-spam email service.