nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 10:30:16 +0200

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016, at 07:32, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> So, we want to warn our users; in similar fashion to when there is
> something un-interpretable in ~/.nanorc, like "bin ^A help main"
> instead of "bind ^A help main"?

Yes, kind of.

> Code for that would go in src/rcfile.c
> somewhere in if--else if-else statement where we print ""Command
> \"%s\" not understood" or (better?) near when we print "Sorry,
> keystroke \"%s\" may not be rebound".

Almost.  The code should go where it says "Key name %s is invalid".
The checks there should be extended, to be more restrictive.

> Probably, it could be better if
> we display on statusbar rather than terminal.

No.  Put lots of mistakes in your .nanorc file and see what
happens.  We don't want all that on the statusbar.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service