nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound

From: Rishabh Dave
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] warning the user that some keys cannot be rebound
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 18:23:20 +0530

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016, at 07:16, Rishabh Dave wrote:
>> Shall I attach the patch I sent to the bug? And this minor change
>> included or un-included?
>
> None of them.  Finally I have thought about it, and... well,
> Left and Right are not rebindable, Shift+Left/Right are not
> rebindable, and Shift+Ctrl+Left/Right are not rebindable either.
> All of those keystrokes do left/right movements.  It would be a
> bit strange to allow the user to rebind Ctrl+Left/Right to do
> something different.  So... the Ctrl+Arrow keys will not become
> rebindable.
>
> The "solution" to bug #44688 [1] will have to be: to report to
> the user that (apart from Space, Ins and Del) any keyname longer
> than one character is invalid.

Rebinding is possible indeed but we don't want our users to rebind
them, or rather we don't want to allow our users to rebind those keys.

And it took you a month to think. I can put up with warning the user
instead (because I don't have the authority over the project, right?)
and with you taking a month to think but please inform me next time
that "allowing this correct solution is dubious, develop at your own
risk."