nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 11:08:11 -0600

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2016, at 04:35, Mike Scalora wrote:
>> Ok, the configure.ac changes were a bit trickier than I thought,
>> please check that extra carefully.
>
> Hmm.  Why am I not allowed to configure like this:
>
>   ./configure --enable-tiny --enable-color --enable-nanorc --enable-comment
>
> What is it that tiny disables that you need in order to make the
> comment/uncomment feature work?

It could be done, but without being able to mark multiple lines it is
of marginal value and the number of additional preprocessor directives
to work around the missing mark and undo symbols would make a mess of
the implementation. When I started down that path I thought to myself,
"Self, when Benno sees this mess he's going hate it. I better never
let him see this or he's going to flush the whole feature for sure."

> Plus, I would think you don't even need the syntax files to
> make the feature work.  Okay, yes, comments will be limited
> to the hash character, but that is good enough for shell and
> Python and several other scripts.  So... I would like to be able
> to configure like this:
>
>   ./configure --enable-tiny --enable-comment

It almost sounds like you have come to appreciate the feature a little
bit. I had the impression you were barley tolerating the whole idea.

> Oh, by the way: the comment marker for texinfo is not "#"
> but "@c ".

I'll fix that.