nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] time for a 2.5.4-pre1?

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] time for a 2.5.4-pre1?
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 01:23:41 -0400

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote
> I'd love to crown a new official maintainer, but I'm not aware of
> anyone who has the time commitment, who's willing to assign their work
> to GNU, and will work inside the Savannah system.  At least one hasn't
> materialized yet.

In fact, it's high time we all faced facts that this project is not
being run at all like a GNU project should. Basically, accepting
patches from folks outside Savannah is supposed to require copyright
assignment to the FSF - see
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Contributions.html#Contributions
- DLR did a great job of rounding up all these assignments back in the
day, and we've strayed far off that path. Today I'm basically rubber
stamping releases which are mostly not FSF-assigned code, which is not
in the spirit of the project.

I need *all* folks who are actively submitting patches to speak up
right now about whether they want their changes to be assigned to the
FSF and/or whether they're willing to work in the Savannah system. If
folks are not interested in following that process, the best thing
might just be to move to github or another repository and abandon the
guise that we are acting according to GNU guidelines. Benno, Mike S,
Mike F, Mark M, especially interested in hearing your take.

Folks who want to respond to me privately about how they feel about
this situation are welcome to do so.