nano-devel

[Nano-devel] begin using gnulib?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] begin using gnulib?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 20:52:28 +0100

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 00:13, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 13:00:20 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > nano has grown a lot of custom checks & fallback logic.  at what point
> > do we bite the bullet for sanity and switch to gnulib ?  is that now ?
>
> I like the idea of starting to use gnulib now.  In my view, it does not
> have to be all-or-nothing switch.  We can start with futimens being the
> only (directly) imported module of gnulib and import the other modules
> later as needed.

That's fine by me.  When people provide the patches.

But what does this mean for support on other platforms?
I suppose gnulib is also available on the BSDs.  But on
Windows?

(Personally I don't care about supporting nano on Windows.
But it seems that Chris is interested in this.  Chris?)

And then: how much bigger is nano going to become
because of using modules from gnulib?  Surely some
of those modules will contain functions that nano won't
use.  Are they still compiled into the binary?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class