nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Adding right to left (RTL) languages support

From: Eitan Adler
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Adding right to left (RTL) languages support
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:45:40 -0700

On 13 August 2015 at 12:54, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Mahyar,
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015, at 08:48, Mahyar Abbaspour wrote:
>> Recently, I've been working on adding right to left (RTL) languages
>> support to Nano using the Fribidi library. Since this feature needs
>> testers who are familiar with RTL languages (probably Persian, Arabic
>> or Hebrew speakers),
>
> I doubt you will find any right-to-left-language speakers on this list,
> otherwise I would have expected more requests for RTL support.

I can speak/write enough Hebrew to be able to do basic tests but don't
write it on a day to day basis.  In other words: I'd be able to make
sure that nothing obvious is broken wouldn't be likely to encounter
unobvious bugs unless I went looking for them.

That said, RTL support, along with full unicode support, should be
considered preconditions to a modern text editor.  I'd suggest
starting a branch on github, and writing the code, integrating
upstream changes quickly so you don't diverge too much.  This would
also make it possible to rebase patches into ones that could be
committed upstream (such as making infrastructure changes) that might
be possible to be committed before the complete rework is done.

--
Eitan Adler