nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:39:19 +0200

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014, at 12:02, Erik Lundin wrote:
> > Maybe this function
> > shouldn't have a default binding at all?  Maybe list it only among
> > the bindable functions in nanorc.5?
> >
> Maybe that's the way to go. I thought about some of the other binding
> currently being available per default. Aren't the ^B and ^F bindings
> redundant when most desktop keyboards today have arrow keys?

In my opinion yes, but Chris uses them, so they will stay.  :)
And for Pico compatibility too, of course.

(Please also use a blank line between quoted text and your reply.
It makes your replies much easier to find.)

> I gotta admit, I've never used the undo feature. Now trying to get a
> grip around it, I've tried the following:
>
>   1. Editing a new file
>   2. Entering a single character
>   3. Justifying with M-}
>   4. Undoing with M-U
>   5. It undoes the (text add) action?
>   6. Justifying with M-} again
>   7. Trying to undo with M-U and it gives me "Nothing in undo buffer!"
>
> Am I understanding the undo feature wrong?

Ah.  No.  You have found a bug.  :)  I never use the indent and
unindent functions, I just add and delete tabs, so I've never
noticed this.

> Shouldn't it undo the justify
> and not the text-add action?

It should.  Mark?  Is this something for you?

> And is the Undo feature a one time thing per line?

No, it can undo a whole series of changes.  Try adding, deleting,
moving the cursor, then adding and deleting some more, and then
undo each of them step by step.

By the way, what you call justifying is called indenting in nano.
Justifying is ^J, it rearranges a paragraph between the current
margins.  At the moment its undo function is special: it can be
undone only rightwaway: see the status line and the help lines.

Benno