nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] interrupting contiguous cuts with a toggle

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] interrupting contiguous cuts with a toggle
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:23:18 +0200

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014, at 19:18, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> On 6/13/14, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Another obvious candidate for cutbuffer preservation is ^C (current
> > cursor position).  And maybe ^G (help) too.  Oh, and M-- and M-=
> > (scrolling a line without moving the cursor), of course.  All other
> > functions are almost guaranteed to move the cursor -- except when
> > cancelled, of course, but that gets maybe a bit too complicated.
>
> Sure, however maintaining a special list of functions to check for may
> become unmaintainable.

Well, the list is very short.  Really the only candidate is ^C -- there I
can imagine the user exclaiming: "But I didn't do anything!"  Calling
up help (^G) feels like a big interruption and the user probably expects
the chain of ^Ks to be broken then.  And M-- and M-= actually do move
the cursor, so they should and do break the chain.

> Maybe we could just check for whether the
> function who was just called's subnfunc struct has viewok==TRUE and
> use that to determine whether to set the preservation...

That won't work.  All cursor movements are viewok.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...