nano-devel

[Nano-devel] what to do when makeinfo is missing?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] what to do when makeinfo is missing?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 11:17:18 +0200

Hi all,

Building on a recent install of Linux Mint, where apparently the
package texinfo is missing, the build fails during the make phase
due to a missing makeinfo.  I think the configure phase should
check for the availability of makeinfo, and then either error out,
or skip the generation of the nano.info file during the make phase.
Preferably the latter, as the documentation is not life-essential.

I can add this to configure.ac:

# Check for availability of makeinfo.
AC_CHECK_PROG(haveit, makeinfo, yes, sorry)
AM_CONDITIONAL(CANMAKEINFO, test x$haveit = xyes)

But then?  How do I use this to stop it from trying to generate
the nano.info file?

Benno