[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Nano-devel] ANNOUNCEMENT: Exciting news about our acquisition by VIM [P
[Nano-devel] ANNOUNCEMENT: Exciting news about our acquisition by VIM [PATCH]
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 04:20:33 -0400
First, I want to give a hearty thank you to all our users and
developers who have been using nano all this time. I wanted you let
you know that I received word from the FSF legal offices that we have
been acquired by VIM, hopefully putting to rest a lot of bad blood
between the text editor factions.
For those of you who have been keeping up with development, the key
bindings code and vim-style locking were probably dead giveaways that
this was going to happen soon, and congrats to everyone who figured
this out before today.
For those of you who have contributed to the code base, the details of
this deal are as follows:
- All right, likenesses and the nano domain become the property of the
VIM Development Corporation LLC OMG WTF BBQ
- Our recursive acronym Nano's Another Editor, is being changed to the
classic vi tagline, "What Mode Am I In Again??"
In exchange, the following compensation is being offered:
- One thousand "vim rules" bumper stickers (FCFS on these!)
- At least 150 coupons for a free KFC Double Down. Must give your
name as "vim" when you order. No free refills.
- We will be recognized on a special plaque, near home plate at a
to-be-announced vim-owned sports stadium (once a few more tech
companies go under or are bought by Google).
- That happy feeling that we didn't end up owned by emacs
The attached patch is a sneak peak at the transition plan we will be
using in the development versions of nano. Please see the following
timetable for transition:
- Starting today with this patch, through versions
2.4.99pl47-omg[ac]1, nano will continue to default to what is
effectively vim's Insert Mode. You can get into insert mode via Esc,
or the usual method of pressing random keys until it works.
- As of version 2.5.0, Command Mode will become the default, but we
will retain backward compatibility with legacy nano commands
- In version 2.7.0, we will all be dead by then so don't worry about
it. Have you seen how long just point releases take me? :P
Thank you again for using our editor, and I'm looking forward to
seeing all those bumper stickers in the KFC parking lot. Eat up
friends, we've all earned it!
Description: Binary data
- [Nano-devel] ANNOUNCEMENT: Exciting news about our acquisition by VIM [PATCH],
Chris Allegretta <=