nano-devel

[Nano-devel] About highlighting..

From: VDR User
Subject: [Nano-devel] About highlighting..
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:08:15 -0700

Hi.  I'm a debian linux user.  I've noticed a 'problem' with
highlight.  I'm not really sure if this is a bug so I didn't file a
bug report.  Further, if I'm posting this to the wrong nano mailing
list, my apologies in advance.

First, is the highlighting supposed to identify functions which have
no closing bracket?  And if so, is it broken?  Is it turned off by
default and would need to be turned on?  And example (bash):

some_function () { echo "this is fine"; }
some_function () { echo "this is NOT fine";

After a lot of changes, I had accidently left out the closing bracket
in a huge bash script.  When I tried to execute it, I got a "syntax
error: unexpected end of file".  Since highlighting (especially syntax
highlighting) should be useful is tracking down the problem, I figured
this issue could be applied to nano.

I did search for more about this particular 'problem' but didn't find
anything helpful so does anyone have an opinion about this?  Shouldn't
a check for properly closed functions be included in the syntax
highlighting in nano?

Best regards,
Derek