nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Meta key w/x bug

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Meta key w/x bug
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:07:12 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

>> Once I know whether it's in or not, [...]
>
> Is the Pico maintainer sensitive to reason?

I have no idea who the Pico maintainer is.  The patch to add the feature
to Pico was written by Eduardo Chappa.

> Could the case be made to him or her that ^X is the wrong choice for
> cut-to-end-of-file?  Most places in Pico -- I only know Nano, but
> expect Pico to be the same -- ^X means Exit, someplaces it means
> Execute, nowhere does it mean Kill.

In Pico, it also toggles "Replace All" mode at the Replace prompt.  nano
uses the "Yes/No/All" prompt instead.

> Only ^K means Kill.  And just like ^Y and ^V are "heightened" in
> ^W-mode, it makes sense to there "heighten" ^K.

^Y and ^V don't do anything at the statusbar prompt if they're not added
as shortcuts, so I'm not sure "heightened" is the right term in this
case.

I've looked again at the list of patches available here:

http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

and there's another patch against Pico to add the ability to cut only
the current paragraph via Ctrl-P at the search prompt, but "heightening"
^P in this way would break nano's history support.  And there's yet
another patch to add something like nano's history support for just the
last entry, but it uses Ctrl-N at the search prompt to move to the last
entry, whereas nano uses ^N to move to the next entry.

Given this, if I go on maintaining compatibility with the one patch,
I'll have to maintain compatibility with the others, and that will make
things worse than they'll be if I just relent on the ^W ^X issue.

So I'm changing my mind.  In current CVS, there is no longer a ^X
shortcut at the search prompt, although the functionality is of course
still available via Meta-T in the main shortcut list.

By the way, the FAQ entries dealing with Pine and Pico may be in for
some revision soon, according to this:

http://www.washington.edu/alpine/