nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>  > It would be useful for the above reason, but complicated to implement.
>  > And it's not a matter of setting --prefix.  For example, if you don't
>  > build nano with --disable-nls, all the .po files are updated as part
>  > of the build, so that the .gmo files generated from them later are up
>  > to date.  What should be done then?  And how do you get gcc to put its
>  > object files in a different location from the source files during the
>  > build?
>
> Never mind this.  I just tried an experiment where I made a build/
> subdirectory and then ran the configure script from there,

And you'd also written:

> Okay, I think I finally understand what you mean about a separate build
> directory.

Gah. Sorry. I meant that my build dir was at the same level as the
nano directory. As in:

~/opt/local

        `- src
            |- nano
            |- nano_mine
            `- nano_build

> and this
> appears to work properly, except for two things: all the files generated
> by autogen.sh,

Whoops. Darn. Yup:

nano/ABOUT-NLS
nano/aclocal.m4
nano/autom4te.cache
nano/config.guess
nano/config.h.in
nano/config.rpath
nano/config.sub
nano/configure
nano/COPYING
nano/depcomp
nano/doc/Makefile.in
nano/doc/man/fr/Makefile.in
nano/doc/man/Makefile.in
nano/doc/syntax/Makefile.in
nano/doc/texinfo/Makefile.in
nano/doc/texinfo/texinfo.tex
nano/INSTALL
nano/install-sh
nano/m4/Makefile.in
nano/Makefile.in
nano/missing
nano/mkinstalldirs
nano/po/boldquot.sed
nano/po/address@hidden
nano/po/address@hidden
nano/po/insert-header.sin
nano/po/Makefile.in.in
nano/po/quot.sed
nano/po/remove-potcdate.sin
nano/po/Rules-quot
nano/src/Makefile.in

> which still must be run from nano's source directory
> (although this only applies to CVS builds);
> and the updated .po files
> and generated .gmo files mentioned before.  All the other build files
> were placed in the build/ directory, as expected.  Basically, this isn't
> as hard as I thought, although there are a few bits that need tweaking.

I'm not yet very experienced with the standard customs of distributed
development, and the usefulness of a separate build directory isn't as
clear to me as I'd assumed. I also hadn't noticed there were extra files
(the .po~ and .gmo files, plus nano.info and nano.pot) being generated
in the src (as opposed to the build) dir.

Thanks for investigating it with me. If you know of a good reason for
having a separate build directory, please let me know, otherwise I won't
bother with it.

Thanks,
---John