nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano 1.3.12pre1 is out

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano 1.3.12pre1 is out
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:35:23 -0400

John M. Gabriele wrote:

<snip>

>> And in the ~/.nanorc, at the end of the description of how syntax
>> files work (but before the one about regexes), it should say:
>>
>> ## The name of the syntax file (without the ".nanorc" extension)
>> ## should be the same as the "short description" name inside that
>> ## file. These names are kept fairly short to make them easier to
>> ## remember and faster to type using nano's -Y option.
>>
>> Actually, you might consider just having the code (or the build
>> tools) ensure that those two names are always identical...
>
> Gah. I totally forgot that it might be nice to have some syntax files
> that aggregate a number of patterns into them. In that case, the
> comment above might start off with this extra bit:
>
> ## Unless otherwise noted,

Comment changes applied.

> and an aggregated syntax file might look something like this:

<snip>

> It seems like having that new "uses" keyword in the syntax files
> might be useful for saving some typing. Also, that last bunch of
> syntax lines might instead go into the sh.nanorc...

I think we're rapidly approaching overkill.  If rcfile parsing gets much
more complicated, it'll practically need its own lex/flex/yacc/bison
grammar, and that will be problematic (e.g. what if we end up with
something that works perfectly under flex, but segfaults under lex?). Why not just add the aforementioned syntaxes to sh.nanorc?