nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlight patterns REDUX

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlight patterns REDUX
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>  > I fixed up what was remaining, and also added a line for constants. I
>  > think what's left looks good. It's not perfect, but works quite nicely
>  > and looks great, IMO. Please see the attached patch.
>
> Applied,

Great. Thanks.

Oooh. I also see that you've separated out the syntax files from
the nanorc file proper. Nice!

> with a few tweaks (multiple lines covering similar items and
> using the same colors were reduced to single lines, case-insensitive
> matching was used in one place where it would make things simpler, etc.)
> Thanks.

Check.

Just curious -- why do you replace '\t' with a literal tab character,
for example, in the "symbols" pattern?

>  > Note, I've also found what I think to be a nice improvement to the
>  > nanorc patterns (for using nano to edit your ~/.nanorc file), which
>  > you might take or leave, and which is also in the patch.
>
> All applied, except for the cyan coloring of some comments, given that
> comments are comments even in nanorc files...

Actually, the point of that little change to the nanorc patterns
was that I see you use two styles of comments in the nanorc file:
those starting with '##' (cyan) and those starting with '##' (brightblue).
It turns out to actually be more readable if these two are in slightly
different colors (or maybe one bright and one plain). Try it and you'll
see what I mean. That's why I had that

icolor cyan "^[[:space:]]*##.*$"

after the other comment-syntax line in there. IMO, cyan works very
nicely for comments.

The other line that had been set to cyan -- I just changed that to
brightgreen because it didn't look right to have those items the
same color as the '##' comments. brightgreen seemed ok for it.
brightyellow looked good too.

---John