nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] PATCH: indent/un-indent marked text with tab/shift+tab

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] PATCH: indent/un-indent marked text with tab/shift+tab
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:38:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:34:41PM -0400, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I've tried cleaning it up a bit, as well as implementing your above
> > suggestion about tabs versus spaces, and I have the attached patch so
> > far (using Meta-' for indenting and Meta-` for unindenting for the time
> > being).  How does it compare to what you need?
>
> I was just throwing it out to see if there were any python folks on the
> dev list, I have been doing more python than C recently but seem to
> remember complaining to myself about not being able to do block indents
> in nano in the past when writing C and perl, and I wondered if anyone
> else had the same frustration...
>
> Chris A

Not sure if this is exactly what's being discussed here, but...

NEdit has this useful feature where you can select some text, and
then hit various Ctrl keys to indent/de-dent either by 1 space or
one "tab size" (to column 0,4,8,12,... for 4-space indents). You
might also call it "shift left/right".

(It uses ^0 and ^9 for one space, and ^-Shift-0 and ^-Shift-9
for moving to next/previous indent columns.)

The crucial part is, NEdit leaves the text selected/highlighted,
so you can tap the keys repeatedly to get the text right where
you want it. I've tried this with vim, but vim de-selects it after
the indent/de-dent, which IMO, cripples the feature.

Anyhow, it would be nice to see nano get this "shift left/right"
feature that nedit has.