nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] PATCH: indent/un-indent marked text with tab/shift+tab

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] PATCH: indent/un-indent marked text with tab/shift+tab
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 04:25:36 -0400

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:34:41PM -0400, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Two minor problems with the keys.  First, since Tab is a typing key as
> opposed to just an ordinary control key, it seems odd to use it for
> something else.  Second, shift-tab (or back-tab as some documentation

Right, however I don't know many people who hit tab (i.e. continue to
edit text) while they have text marked, maybe people do?  It's just that
generally this is a repeated operation and a meta sequence is more of a
pain, however less of a pain than having to indent the text by hand!
Also tab was intuitive for 'indent' and the ticks dont as good a fit in
terms of the visual nmemonic of indenting blocks of text.  How about
Meta { and } ?

Just thinking about it more...I guess you're not going to use this for a
few lines, so the overhead of ^6,arrow/search,Meta+[shift+]something
wouldn't be so bad...so yeah I propose braces rather than ticks.

> > Just throwing it out there for discussion before I put more work into
> > it, right now it looks ugly and is probably not even close to I18N
> > compatible....
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  If you mean handling
> NLS-specific/UTF-8-specific spacing characters, indent_length() will do
> that without the need for a loop using isspace().

Nice.

> > Other comments?
>
> I've tried cleaning it up a bit, as well as implementing your above
> suggestion about tabs versus spaces, and I have the attached patch so
> far (using Meta-' for indenting and Meta-` for unindenting for the time
> being).  How does it compare to what you need?

I was just throwing it out to see if there were any python folks on the
dev list, I have been doing more python than C recently but seem to
remember complaining to myself about not being able to do block indents
in nano in the past when writing C and perl, and I wondered if anyone
else had the same frustration...

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v3sw7CUPhw5ln6pr5Pck4ma7u7LFw0m6g/l7Di5e6t5Ab6THen7g6Ma29s5r3p7 hackerkey.com