nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:07:45 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> In my opinion the help key should always be the last key in the list:
> when the user is looking at the help text, she has already found the
> help key: no need to tell her what she's just done.
>
> The help toggle is mentioned first because it would keep the two
> help-related things together, and also because as you said it affects
> the display the most: it is somehow the most important of the toggles.

Okay then.

<snip>

> Something like this:

<snip list>

> And then, after a double blank line, the toggles as they are now.

Thank you.  Done in CVS, except for the double blank line, which is
still a single.  This is because I had to redesign sc_init_one() and
toggle_init_one() to handle blank entries without actually putting them
in the shortcut and toggle lists in order to put blank entries in the
first 12 entries, and I'd have to add another ugly hack to get double
blank entries.

> A few other things:
>
> * Please consider not mentioning F13 to F16 -- this would save a
> whole column, moving the explanations much closer to the keys.

Unfortunately, I can't do this because of the "Where Is Next" (M-W, F16)
option.  The reason it uses F16 is because holding down Meta-W will
sometimes make e.g. xterm forget you're holding down the Alt key and
insert "wwwwww" into the file you're trying to search, and F16 doesn't
have that problem.  It also uses F16 because that's what Chris
Allegretta suggested, I couldn't think of anything better, and he's the
original author of nano in any case.  Besides, if I have to display F16,
I have to display F13-F15 for consistency's sake.

> * Consider not truncating the first column, but instead overlapping
> the second over the first -- this will allow moving the columns a
> little closer together, and it will allow the Dutch translation of
> M-Space (M-Spatie) to not lose the final e.

Done in CVS.

<snip>

> Ah, thanks.  You know, when first starting to use nano, I searched and
> searched the main help text to find the key combination for what I
> know as Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End (in for example KWrite).  It took a
> while before I found them under Alt+G, because it wasn't immediately
> obvious that "First line" meant 'First line of file', not 'First line
> of screen'.

No problem.  Putting them under the search menu is another one of Pico's
little eccentricities.