nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:14:35 +0200

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>  > * Add some blank lines in the main help text, to give the eye
>  > some hold in the long list of keys.  As the keys and their
>  > descriptions are quite wide apart, it's sometimes hard to see
>  > which description belongs to which key.  A few blank lines
>  > will make this easier, at least for the first and last few
>  > lines of each chunk.  I'd like to see a blank line before ^_,
>  > ^P, M-D, and M-X.
>
> Done in CVS.  The blank lines are now at ^P, ^Space, and M-X.

Nice.  Thanks.

> (Rationale: I didn't put a blank line before ^_ because I think
> it looks better to have all the shortcuts with function key
> equivalents in one contiguous block.

My idea was that most keyboards have only 12 function keys.  Plus:
these are the twelve that are shown in the bottombar.  And: this
little dense group of four lines would make a nice landmark in the
otherwise about equal-sized groups of keys.

> I also put a blank line
> before ^Space instead of M-D because ^Space is where the advanced
> options begin, and because I think it looks better to have all
> the word operations in one contiguous block.)

Okay, I concentrated more on the word "Move", but this is fine too.

One step better would be to group the keys more to their functions:
for example, put the five keys that delete or insert characters in
one separate group together.  This can't be done for the first 16
keys, if one wants to stick to the Fn order, but I don't see any
problem for the rest of the keys.  The resulting mix of Control and
Alt combinations might look messy, but I think it will help to
break the monotony and make the list clearer.  What is the reason
for the order that they're in now?

For the enable/disable series of keys, if there is no logical
ordering to be found, it may be best to order them alphabetically
(keywise): some order is better than none.

Benno